Monday, September 10, 2012

Jasper's Talking

Jasper is the baby of the family, he is such a character and will be turning 3 on Wednesday (I have no idea where the time has gone) Some of the first posts I wrote on this Blog were about my littlest man Jasper. I was having a lot of trouble with him not sleeping, throwing terrible tantrums & not talking or communicating at all. This all started just over a year ago. I saw my early childhood nurse, then our GP and finally our pediatrician who was concerned that Jasper might be on the Autism spectrum. He sent Jasper to be assessed by the childhood assessment team at the hospital who concluded that he was not on the spectrum but that he had significant speech delay. The tantrums and bad behaviour were all because of my little man's frustration in not being able to communicate.
So we started a round of occupational and speech therapy for my little man and now I am also doing a course through the hospital called 'It Takes Two to Talk' and the difference is amazing!!! My little guy is putting 3 and 4 words together and coming up with new words everyday!!! He knows all his sisters names and calls he brother Oli. He asks for squeezes and and kisses and loves offering to help 'I help you?' 
I love listening to him talk, we waited so long to hear his first words and I get so excited when he says something new. The other day he was watching 'The Avengers' (which is his favorite movie at the moment)  and he came out and told us "I watch cool guys" We all jumped of the lounge and started clapping and going crazy telling him how clever he is!! Then he told he was Thor (I Tor) and now his sisters are trying to teach him the names of all the Avengers!
It has definitely been worth all the appointments and long times sitting at the hospital waiting for appointments. I am just wondering how long it's going to take until I start saying "Jasper can you please be quite for 5 minutes!"


No comments:

Post a Comment